Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I dont know what its actually called; does anyone have anxiety when they look at certain textures?

It's pretty weird, and random when it happens. I'll be looking at a rough texture, something with a lot of contrasting light/dark and rough or ragged edges, and it makes me really, really uncomfortable. Sometimes I start to feel a little afraid, sometimes angry or upset or frustrated. As long as I look away I'm fine. But if I keep staring at it I start to get seriously uncomfortable, and get weird feelings in my chest, almost like the beginnings of an anxiety attack - it's freaky. I've never heard of anything like this before. Can anyone tell me what it is, or more about it? I know I'll get stupid people with smartass remarks who'll say mean things, and tell me I'm crazy or should see a shrink or whatever. I'd really just appreciate if someone could tell me what it is, like textural phobia or something, or at least if anybody has heard of anything simiar. Thanks.I dont know what its actually called; does anyone have anxiety when they look at certain textures?
your crazy and you should probably be locked in a padded room with texures that won't make you crazierI dont know what its actually called; does anyone have anxiety when they look at certain textures?
I know exactly what you mean, LOL.


In my case, lately, I started looking at the architectural lines inside our house. All the walls were painted white.


There are a considerable number of these lines that need minimizing - just looking at them, trying to figure out a solution would severely pezz me off, or be enough to bring me to tears - I had to go outside or view something else....





I've been painting the walls.





Are you stuck in a place that you must look at this texture?


Would you consider that this might make you depressed?


That could be the core of the (anxiety, yup, that's what it is - fight or flight) problem, especially if you are a person who is visually sensitive.


Maybe all the haphazard lines and rough textures remind you or serve to bring to mind a sub-conscious desire -


remedy something that needs organizing.





(Not a bad thing, in moderation, but you want to keep it below the point of developing OCD - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder)





If this is at work and you feel like you can't do anything about it, try talking to your boss to see what about the decor(?)you can change - maybe a paint job will (at least) get rid of the contrast of dark/light.





Maybe this is an internal sign to take up a visual art?


I've been thinking about it... :)


Good luck!
I know what you mean to a certain extent. I can't stand the way linen sheets feel on my skin or the sound it makes when people scrape their shoes on the sidewalk. It makes my skin crawl and makes me feel very uncomfortable. I think many people have these types of ';phobias.'; In your case, I think it is a bit more pronounced. Generally, if it is something that interferes in your daily life, you ought to seek counseling to try to get past it.
I totally freak out when I hear certain things. I can't stand the sound of someone running their fingernail over the top of a car (on the inside, I don't know what it is called) and when I hear a zipper going up or down.

No comments:

Post a Comment