Friday, January 8, 2010

Tofu texture!!!?

I love Noodles and Co.'s tofu, but I have NO idea how to make it! I've looked at recipes online, and I've tried TONS, but I can't get the texture like Noodle's and Co. has it. When I make it, its mushy (I use firm tofu), and Noodle's and Co. has it firmer (more rubbery.. I know it doesn't sound good to be rubbery, but that's the texture I'm looking for). Anyone have any ideas on how to make the tofu firmer when I put it in the frying pan??Tofu texture!!!?
Put the tofu in zipploc bag without water and freeze it. Thaw it out in the refrigerator before you use it. Or you could put the tofu in water and add whatever seasonings you like then freeze. Thaw it out by filling a pan with water and then put the baggie in the water and turn the stove on medium heat. If you have a gas stove be very careful and stick the whole baggie in the water. If it sticks out of the water any the bag will melt and cause big problems. Boil until the tofu is completely thawed. Normally 15 minutes.





With the water version the seasonings will be totally infused in the tofu. Marinating doesn't even compare.





Hope this helps you.Tofu texture!!!?
Use seitan.
Freeze your tofu. That will give it a chewier texture. Check my profile for tips.
Drain %26amp; rinse a block of tofu. Dry it, place it in a pan %26amp; put another heavy pan or plate on it to press it. Some of the liquid will be pressed out in about 2 hours or so.
Actually, I would suggest baking it. I just had some last night that I cut into cubes and marinated overnight in Annie's Tuscan Dressing. I baked it in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes, stirring about every 15 minutes. You may have to bake longer until it gets to the texture you want. After I was done baking it, I spread it out on a sheet pan and broiled it for about 5 minutes............the texture and flavor came out perfectly.





Kim at: http://www.peaceful-organic-planet.com/h鈥?/a>
Yeah I would definetly freeze it. That's the only way to make it more firm.
Season and bake your tofu............for a while....................I mean like you would cook well done meat. Your other option is to freeze the tofu then bake. it gives the tofu a chewy/spongy texture for some reason.
Freezing it is a great way to keep it firm. Also be sure to press out ALL of the water (use towels).
Ground beef is a good binder and gives great flavor and texture

No comments:

Post a Comment